2019 VSU/USDA Field Day at The Carver Center
JUNE 12, 2019
8AM - 12PM
The Carver Center
9432 James Madison Hwy • Rapidan, VA
VSU Small Farm Outreach Program will host this exciting opportunity for farmers to see a variety of crop production and field management practices, learn more about research, and connect with experts and agriculture leaders in Virginia. USDA representatives will be on hand to talk about their agency resources that are available to help small and beginning farmers.
REGISTRATION OPENS AT 7:30AM
Welcome from Virginia State University College of Agriculture and Cooperative Extension
• Ronald Howell, Director of Operations Management
OPENING REMARKS BY SPECIAL GUESTS:
Jewel Bronaugh, Virginia Commissioner of Agriculture
James Tillman, USDA NRCS Southeast Regional Conservationist
Welcome from Culpeper County
• John Egertson, County Administrator
USDA Exhibits & Demonstrations:
• Farm Service Agency
• Rural Development
• National Agricultural Statistics Service
• Food and Nutrition Service (SNAP Sign Up)
• Natural Resources Conservation Service: Cover Crops and Beneficial Plantings Site
The Carver Center:
• Master Gardener’s Organic Vegetable Plot
• Beekeeper’s Association
• Deer Fencing - Pace Fencing and Livestock
Virginia Department of Forestry
Virginia Department of Agriculture & Consumer Services
...and MUCH more!
FIELD DAY IS FREE & OPEN TO THE PUBLIC!
EXHIBITS & DEMONSTRATIONS AT FIELD DAY:
VSU Small Farm Outreach Program & Cooperative Extension:
• High Tunnel Production (Blueberry, Blackberry, Ginger, Turmeric)
• Small Garden Plot for Easy-to-Grow Vegetables and Fruits
• Commercial Rabbit Production
• Nutrient Management and Weed Control with Cover Crops
• Drone/UAV Demonstration
• Hispanic Outreach
• Beginning Farmer & Rancher Program
• Farm Equipment
VSU Agriculture Research:
• Bean Varieties in the Field
BLACK FARMERS OF AMERICA:
From the Earth We Grow (Charles W. Ferguson, President & Eugene F. Triplett, Secretary)
Burnt Ends BBQ will be on hand for those who wish to purchase lunch at the Field Day. Discounts will be available for registered attendees!
For more information, call the Small Farm Outreach Program office at (804) 524-3292.
If you are a person with a disability and desire any assistive devices, services or other accommodations to participate in this activity, please contact the Small Farm Outreach Program office (email@example.com) or call (804) 524-3292 / TDD (800) 828-1120 during business hours of 8 am. and 5 p.m. to discuss accommodations five days prior to the event.