FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: May 25, 2017
Contact: William Gee, Marketing & Communications Dept., 804-524-5005, firstname.lastname@example.org
Innovations For Small Farmers Theme Of Annual USDA/VSU Field Day
Virginia State University’s College of Agriculture will hold its annual Agriculture Field Day on Thursday, June 15, from 8 a.m. until 1 p.m. on Randolph Farm, located at 4415 River Road, Petersburg.
Free and open to the public, the field day will highlight agricultural innovations for small farms. Small, limited-resource, urban and beginning farmers will be able to interact with USDA representatives about available resources, services and support. Participants will also be able to learn about the latest innovations and technology for small farmers from Virginia Cooperative Extension Specialists at VSU and other industry leaders.
Tour stops will feature information and demonstrations on:
• USDA resources for farm financing, risk management, advocacy and outreach, accepting SNAP EBT cards, and more
• Rain simulator demonstration from USDA Department of Natural Resources and Conservation
• Mobile meat processing unit, courtesy of Delaware State University Cooperative Extension
• Raising chickens and rabbits in backyards
• Berry production, management and marketing
• New equipment, tools and technology demonstrations, including drones
• Introduction to aquaculture practices and production
• Hops research and production
• High tunnel growing practices and specialty crops
• Hikes on the new nature trail at Randolph Farm
New this year will be a dedicated bilingual Small Farm Outreach program representative who will lead a guided walk through and translation services of the day's events in Spanish. Para más información en español, favor llamar a Mery Caldwell al número (804) 481-0425.
Register online at www.ext.vsu.edu.
For more information, contact the Small Farm Outreach Program Office at (804) 524-5626. If you are a person with a disability and desire any assistive devices, services or other accommodations to participate in this activity, please contact the Small Farm Outreach office at (804) 524-5626 /TDD (800) 828-1120 during business hours of 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. to discuss accommodations five days prior to the event.
Extension is a joint program of Virginia Tech, Virginia State University, the U.S. Department of Agriculture, and state and local governments. Virginia Cooperative Extension programs and employment are open to all, regardless of age, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, genetic information, veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. An equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. Issued in furtherance of Cooperative Extension work, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Virginia State University, and the U.S. Department of Agriculture cooperating. Edwin J. Jones, Director, Virginia Cooperative Extension, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg; M. Ray McKinnie, Administrator, 1890 Extension Program, Virginia State University, Petersburg.