SMALL FARM OUTREACH PROGRAM TRAINING
FOR VETERANS AND SOCIALLY DISADVANTAGED
NEW AND BEGINNING FARMERS & RANCHERS
WE HAVE ONE GOAL IN MIND—TO HELP YOU GET STARTED IN A SUCCESSFUL FARM OPERATION
As part of the Small Farm Outreach Program's New & Beginning Farmer & Rancher training, socially disadvantaged and veterans have the opportunity to learn what they need to own and operate a successful farm business. Our holistic approach includes education, outreach, hands-on experiential learning, training and technical assistance as well as farmer-mentor support for those who participate.
SEE HOW YOU CAN TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THIS UNIQUE OPPORTUNITY!
Is your new or current farm operation in one of 54 Virginia counties served by the program?
Are you interested in starting a new farm operation or have you been farming 10 years or less?
Are you a military veteran?
Contact Megan Harrison in the Small Farm Outreach Program or call (804) 524-3292 to get started!
FREE OR LOW-COST EDUCATIONAL WORKSHOPS WILL HELP YOU:
- Create financial plans and make decisions about when and how to grow your farm business
- Identify and apply for financial resources that may be available
- Improve farm production, livestock and forest management practices
- Evaluate value-added production strategies that provide additional income from your farm products
- Learn about state-of-the-art farm tools and equipment
- Develop marketing strategies to help you find buyers and build your customer base
PERSONAL SUPPORT FROM A SMALL FARM OUTREACH PROGRAM AGENT:
- Get convenient, one-on-one training and technical assistance
- Experience hands-on, in-the-field training
CONNECT WITH EXPERIENCED PRODUCERS:
- Learn from farmer-mentors who understand the challenges and benefits of creating and sustaining a small farm
- Become aquainted with others in the program and network with established farmers throughout Virginia at conferences and on farm tours
How It Works
BEGIN WITH A SMALL FARM ORIENTATION WORKSHOP
Each month, the Small Farm Outreach team offers Small Farm Orientation for a limited number of new and beginning farmers. This half-day workshop introduces the available training programs, technical assistance and financial resources designed to support farm operations.
ATTEND A WHOLE FARM PLANNING WORKSHOP
This introductory course provides comprehensive information about the Beginning & Veteran Farmer and Rancher Program. All workshops are from 9am-12pm.
For upcoming workshops, contact Megan Harrison in the Small Farm Outreach Program or call (804) 524-3292